05 Dec Meet the Author
This week has been my week in the spotlight, but The Sweet Sixteens has a new author every week. Hop on over and check out all the crazy talent culminating for 2016. These authors are amazeballs, people!
Meet the Author:
Shannon M. Parker was raised on a small Massachusetts farm perched beside a rambling brook, a setting that often creeps into her middle grade stories. As idyllic as frigid, pre-dawn stall shoveling was, Shannon left home for college in Vermont. That first bit of travel inspired a passion for wandering that made her nomadic for about a decade, traveling to thirty-five countries and earning degrees at three New England universities. She now lives and roams within reach of the fierce Atlantic, grounded by her husband and young sons. She works in education, helping adult students gain literacy skills and younger students to stay in school. Travel these days is mostly reserved for her characters. Shannon is represented by Melissa Sarver White at Folio Literary Management.
Her debut young adult novel, CRUSHING (Simon Pulse, Spring 2016), is a story of first love in which a high school senior mistakes her boyfriend’s physical and mental manipulations for devotion, only to discover the truth when it may be too late.
Shannon is the Sweet Sixteens 16th Day Coordinator. She collects news from members and posts announcements, deals, and other group awesomeness on the 16th day of each month.
- Favorite book growing up: CAT’S EYE by Margaret Atwood
- Childhood aspiration: Be Margaret Atwood
- Favorite time of day/place to write: Mornings, playlist-free, preferably within view of an ocean
- Book currently reading/most recently read: WINTERKILL by 2014 debut YA author Kate Boorman
- Favorite things to do (other than reading): Laugh
- Favorite sports teams: Boston Red Sox
- Surprising personal fact: Writing a “Meet the Author” bio was harder than writing a novel
- Greatest thing about being a 2016 debut author: Debuting in 2016